Want to find out more about Home to School Transport’s Independent Travel Training?
Come and meet the Grace Eyre team, find out more about the scheme and learn how your young person and family will benefit from becoming an independent traveller.
Who we are
Grace Eyre’s Travel Buddy project has enabled many people with learning disabilities and/or autism, living in Brighton & Hove, to travel independently around their communities how and when they want to since 2005.
This has empowered people to gain a greater degree of independence and control of their own lives and have the knowledge and ability to take positive risks resulting in an understanding of how to respond safely and effectively within the public domain.
What is Travel Buddy for Young People?
Travel Buddy for Young People equips young people with the skills, knowledge and confidence to make an independent journey. We offer a structured travel training programme, providing one-to-one support over a six-week (half-term) period.
With training in real-life situations made on foot and/or by public transport, travel trainees aim to make regular, independent journeys to and from school or college on completion of the course.
We teach confidence and problem-solving skills with the aid of a reflective practice travel diary and regular monitoring of confidence levels and knowledge retention.
Each travel trainee receives training based on their current abilities and needs and will achieve varying degrees of independence.
What happens at the information session?
During the information session, you will have the opportunity to:
- meet the Grace Eyre team
- find out more about Travel Buddy for Young People
- learn how becoming an independent traveller will benefit your young person and your family
- ask questions
When and Where
There are two sessions on offer:
- Online session: Tuesday 8th November 2022 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon
- The online session will be delivered via Zoom.
- You will receive a confirmation email with a Zoom link when you book.
- In-person session: Thursday 10th November 2022 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- The in-person session will take place at Grace Eyre Foundation, 36 Montefiore Road, Hove BN3 6EP
The session is free, but spaces are limited.
How to book
Click your preferred session below to book:
If you have any questions, please contact Claire Hudson at email@example.com or on 07762 890 625.