There are several things you can do to stay fire safe at Christmas.
Check out these top tips – they are helpful safety reminders for all of us!
- Do not cook if you have been drinking.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch alight easily.
- Decorations can burn easily. Do not attach decorations to lights or heaters.
- Never overload electrical sockets.
- Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Check your Christmas tree lights carry this British Safety Standard sign.
candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
Check on others
- Take time to check on older relatives, friends and neighbours this Christmas as they are potentially at greater risk from fire.
- Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency.
Local fire services offer Safe and Well Home Visits in Brighton & Hove and West Sussex. During these visits, specially trained Safe and Well advisors can offer a range of advice around home safety, bedtime routines, escape routes and electrical safety. They can also fit smoke alarms and other specialist equipment when needed.
Find out more:
Brighton & Hove Home Visits or call 0800 177 7069 (freephone)
West Sussex Safe and Well Visits or call 0345 8729 719