This week is a week of awareness building, it’s Learning Disability Pride Week, Shared Lives Week and also Learning Disability Awareness Week.
Learning Disability Pride is a week of celebrations across Britain. People with learning disabilities, their friends, families and supporters are invited to have marches, walks, parties and events from 15th to 21st June 2019.
Read more: http://learningdisabilitypride.org.uk/
What is Shared Lives? It’s most easily understood as being like a fostering service but for adults with social care needs. Shared Lives scheme works with older adults, adults with learning disabilities and mental health needs and matches them with our Shared Lives carers who have space in their home. Shared Lives carers do amazing work and enrich the lives of the people they support, as well as the communities they live in.
Read more here: https://www.grace-eyre.org/shared-lives/
The theme of this year’s Shared Lives week is Shared Lives and Human Rights. The Shared Lives model is about choice, freedom, and centring people who need support. To learn more about this, take a look at the human rights briefing put together by Shared Lives Plus – the UK network for Shared Living – https://sharedlivesplus.org.uk/shared-lives-and-human-rights/
Last but certainly not least it’s Learning Disability Awareness Week and this year’s theme is Sports and Inclusion. Sport and physical activity can really help to reduce loneliness and isolation. Our Sports for All project supports people with learning disabilities to lead healthy lives and work towards reducing those feelings of loneliness and isolation. The project is currently offering a variety of new sessions:
- Swimming – a coach led session | Thursdays | King Alfred Hove | 6 – 7pm | £3 🏊♀️
- Ten Pin Bowling | Wednesday | 5.30 – 6.30pm | Brighton Marina | £3.30 for one game
- Cricket – coach led session | Monday | King Alfred, Hove | 4.30 – 5.30pm until 1st July | £3 🏏
- Badminton – coach led session | Wednesday | 3.30pm – 4.30pm | King Alfred, Hove | £3 🏸
- Healthwalk – Thursday | 10.45- 12noon | Dyke Road Park and St Ann’s Well (part of our Grace Eyre Active Lives programme but also open to the community) 🚶♀️🚶♂️
Otherwise you can visit https://www.grace-eyre.org/sports-for-all/ to find out what else is on offer in your area.
Keep an eye on our social media channels this week for more info!