About the opportunity
Grace Eyre is seeking motivated and enthusiastic Activities Support Volunteers to help support people with learning disabilities who attend sessions in our day centre. It is a very dynamic and busy environment with service users who present with different levels of skills and abilities. Volunteers support in lots of different life skills and leisure activities within group settings.
We currently have vacancies within sessions such as:
And Computers, to name but a few.
Activities Support Volunteers promote the independence of service users while protecting them as far as possible from danger or harm, enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and control, and support people with the same level of respect you would want for yourself or a member of your family.
Some examples of what you will be expected to do:
- Making all participants feel welcome and settled in the session
- Providing service users with needed resources
- Supporting and encouraging people to engage in activities
- Supporting people to focus their attention on the session
- Encouraging service users to take part in group discussions
- Assisting staff with preparing room and materials for session
- Helping with evaluation
- Supporting people with their mobility.
- Being there to listen and interact with people.
What volunteers are NOT expected to do:
- Assist with personal care
- Deal with any behaviour you are uncomfortable with or unsure about (consult with staff or bring to supervision).
- Be left with a group of service users without staff present.
Skills and experience needed:
- Previous experience working with people with learning disabilities is not necessary but very welcome
- Lots of patience and an interest in the session subject matter.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, friendliness and a willingness to get involved
- Being a good team player
AM sessions happen between 10.15-12PM, and PM sessions run between 1.15-3.15PM. Ideally, we ask that volunteers commit to coming for a six to twelve month period if possible, but we can work with any kind of commitment. A volunteer who is able to join the session all day can enjoy lunch on us in the cafe. Reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
Our main centre is based on Montefiore Road, near BHASVIC Sixth Form College, in a converted church. The centre is also easily accessed by the No. 7 bus route that stops at the opposite end of Montefiore Road and is a 5 minute walk away.
How you will be supported
You will be given an induction and training on all aspects of this role. All volunteers will be offered time where they can meet with the Volunteer Manager and talk about how their volunteering is going. It’s a chance to talk about how things are going, how you are feeling about your volunteering and to identify and evaluate your support needs. You can also tell us if you need more support. Volunteers are offered regular supervision which is an informal, friendly space to discuss your work.
How to apply
Application, informal interview, DBS Check, and two references. Please email email@example.com or ring us on 01273 201900 for more information.